Rosemary Matric Higher Secondary School
My Rosemary > Parents Corner > Social Networks
Face book-Affecting the children
- Face book has now become a possible hunting ground for paedophiles.
- There has been killers like Peter Chapman, in the UK, Who used face book and other social sites to get close to teenage victims.
- Many parents have concerns even about teenagers being exposed to everything that is on there.
- These social networking sites were created by and intended for adults. The content is adult.
- There is also a predatory behaviour, exposure to content, and exposure to people that children should never get exposed to.
- Face book been at the heart of serious political campaigns.
Social networking sites distracting the children:
- A study has pointed out that the children who spend much of their time online find it harder to concentrate in class.
- They are permanently distracted and have shorter attention spans.
- Using social networking and other non-educational sites are affecting the grades of the youngsters considerably.
- At some cases even the parents are not aware what their children are doing online.
- Children aged 6-11 spend an hour a day on face book and twitter .
- Children under 15 have never known a world without the internet. It has revolutionized how they communicate.
- Web site blocking options for parents- This ensures home safe from internet service provider.
- At home it is the responsibility of parents to monitor their children.
- Parents should not permit their children to browsing centres.
- Should not offer a private lap top/ smart phones with net connection.
- Children must be only offered with a Desktop placed in the living room, where the parents could easily have an eye on the monitor or the content displayed in the web.